Monday, July 27, 2009

Let's Dance, Let's Shout










Shake your strawberry spinach salad down to the ground.....
I was in TX about a month ago. Man there was a lot going on.
The day after Michael Jackson died I headed out to my friend Jennifer's restaurant in Marble Falls, the Noon Spoon Cafe. I had been before, but not for lunch and afternoon frivolity. It was a diff scene for sure, and I'm happy for it. My friend Crisps and I thought we were going for a simple lunch with friends, but NOOOOO, it turned into an impromptu dance party/ MJ memorial after the restaurant closed.
But first, Bidness: We ordered our yum yums, a burger and a spinach salad, pimento cheese sandwich, tomato soup combo. Yeah......and dessert. We'll get back to that.
All the dishes were wonderful, I felt like I was right at home. The cheese burger Crisps ordered was juicy with tons of veggies and served on grilled bread, a nice change.
The spinach salad had luscious strawberries, feta cheese, dried cranberries and almonds that made me want more and happy that it was summer. The pimento cheese sandwich made me day dream about a tea room I used to go to as a kid, translation, perfect. Not too much mayo and tons of flavor. The tomato soup was savory and made my mouth water, but not too heavy considering the 101 degree heat outside.
We were stuffed! But we had to move on to dessert, in the name of research, love, MJ and all that is good. Jen was gracious to make us up a trio of key lime pie, chocolate cake a la mode and berry cobbler a la mode. Lord help me now. I thought my eyes were going to burst out of my head. Again, all delicious, just like Grandma would make, or better, Jen. It made me cry a little that I was already so full and couldn't eat more.
Crisps had brought MJ's "Off the Wall" CD for the drive. After the Noon Spoon Cafe had closed we asked if we could put the CD on, and then, IT WAS ON!!!
Everybody in the joint was movin and groovin to the smooth sounds of the King of Pop while they cleaned and closed up for the day. Crisps and I even got into it. It was really like a scene out of a movie, watching ice cream being scooped while the back side is shakin it on down. I can't think of a better tribute to such a gifted artist that has touched so many of our lives. (It's not beyond me that some peeps are over this talk, but he still deserves props, it was fresh at the time, sorry.)
Jen's place is purely her essence. You can tell her peeps that work with her are happy and her love shows through in her food and colorful decor. You can see her sense of humor in the notes on the wall and the tribute to higher powers. The citizens of Marble Falls are lucky to have her share the love. Take care of her for me, actually she can do it herself. Once I watched this 5'2" (she says, mmhhmm), 100 lb tigress single handedly push open a subway door when a friend got stuck.
I miss her. And her pimento cheese. Grrrrrrr.
Go see her, eat her home grown food and shake your booty on your way out.
www.noonspoon.com
610 Broadway Street
Marble Falls, TX 78654
(830) 798-2347
Hours: 7:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Friday

No comments: